Painting clouds can be relaxing and one of the most beautiful things to paint in a landscape. It can be challenging at first, but once you know the basics, it’ll be one of your favorite things to paint! Here are 5 tips for painting clouds in oil.
Easy Tips For Painting Clouds
- Tip 1: Start with the sky, and use it to define the shape of the clouds.
- Tip 2: Use the direction and silhouette of the clouds to create a movement around the landscape. The smaller clouds can add a lot of interest to the composition.
- Tip 3: Work in layers. Start with a thin layer of a darker color, Then, build up the layers by adding lighter, saturated, or thicker paint.
- Tip 4: Use a small, soft brush and light strokes to soften the edges of the clouds. But, don’t overdo it. Unless you want the clouds to look blurry and out of focus.
- Tip 5: Go back with the sky color to adjust the shape & edges of the clouds
Join Our Art Club
If you want to be the first to know about news and updates from RuinedBrush, and get early access to upcoming YouTube videos, join the newsletter and we’ll keep you up to date!